Friday, June 24, 2011

Short Film: "Open Road"



___In the Middle of June I worked as a 1st A.C on a short film entitled "Open Road." We were shooting on the RED with a small crew. Mostly all the coverage was on sticks so there weren't any insanely hard pulls. We used .9 ND Hot-mirror all day in order to open up the lenses to around the 4.0-5.6 range. We used the 50mm mostly but we did pop on the 200mm for a specialty long shot of an actor riding his bike toward camera from a distance. That was probably the hardest pull all day.

We had a great location on a long dirt road in the desert and were able to capture some really great visuals. We had a 12x12 frame that we used 1/4 Grid in to knock down the harsh sunlight. We also switched out the 1/4 grid rag for an ultra bounce when we needed a strong key. I really liked working with this D.P as he used a light meter for every set up and was open to sharing his insight with me. I haven't worked with many D.P's who meter light and it is something that I have been trying to do more on sets in which I am D.Ping. It was a solid day with the only issue being the insane amount of planes that were flying over our location the entire day. Overall it was a relaxed shoot and I definitely learned a lot from the D.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment