Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Day Trippin




Over the weekend I shot a pilot for a television series called, "Day Trippin." It's a documentary style show that follows a female host around as she visits various attractions in California. On saturday we shot in a spa, at the beach, at a wine tasting venue, and then a roller derby. Santa Barbara is a pretty beautiful place. There were a ton of people surfing on the beach, I want to try it so bad. Once I start making a little more money surfing is the first thing on my list of things to try.

Sunday I got to shoot out of a helicopter, it was insane. They took the door off so I could basically hang out and shoot straight down. I got some really cool footage. I wish I had a better mount but I got some pretty steady shots for just being hand held. The biggest challenge was the difference in exposure between the inside and outside of the helicopter. Every time the host wanted to be on camera or talk to the pilot I had to quickly readjust exposure/ND level for the inside of the helicopter and vice versa for when I wanted to shoot the landscape. Overall it was an awesome weekend and the client seemed happy with what myself and the other camera operators had captured. They will sure have plenty of footage to sort through in the edit. I'm excited to see how the final 30 minute show comes together in post.

2 comments:

  1. Zach, glad to hear your doing well. You must be having a blast. That would be awesome if we could get a trip planned out there. Tell all of the celebrities I said hello. Good luck pal.

    P.S. You spelled SERIES wrong.

    Sincerely,
    Timothy James

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I will man. Thanks for checking out my blog.

    P.S. I fixed my spelling error

    ReplyDelete